coyote

BY: Anderson Kempf

A long time ago there was a coyote that went to a village for a while. Then left to a different village. When the coyote stayed at the bear’s camp he would sneak over to Whiteman’s field at night and take all the wheat. When Whiteman found out he set up a man made out of pitch. Next night the coyote came to the field he found the pitch man and told him “move I just want a little wheat”. The pitch man didn’t react the coyote talked again “if you don’t move you will be punched and anyone I punch dies”. So the coyote punched the pitch man. The coyote had his arm stuck and said “if you don’t release my arm I will punch you with my other arm”. So the coyote punched him with his other arm but it got stuck too then the fox said “if you don’t let go of both my arms I will kick you and you will die”. So he did kick him but his leg got stuck and he said “that leg wasn’t very good I’m going to use my other leg and you will let go”. So he kicked him with his other leg but it got stuck so finally he said “if I whip you with my tail you will be sliced in half”. So he did but his tail got stuck then for one final attempt he said “if you don’t let me go I will bite you in your little neck and kill you”. So he did but his mouth got stuck. The next day Whiteman came back to the pitch man and took coyote off and lead him to the shack with a chain.

Ounce they were in the shack the men debated what they should do with coyote. They agreed to cook and eat the coyote with bread made from the wheat. Grey fox came trotting into the Whiteman’s coyote said to grey fox “hey looking for something to eat in that pot they have lots of things to eat for me like carrots, meats, bread, and all sorts of food” “if you want some all you have to do is help me first” grey fox said “what do I have to help with” coyote replied “all you have to do is take off this chain and put it around your neck so I can go to the bathroom behind those bushes”. So the fox put the chain around his neck. As soon as coyote was out of site he made a run for it. When the Whiteman was ready to cook he took grey fox. Grey fox was excited for all the food coyote was sharing with him. Grey fox could not see coyote. Grey fox saw the pot was empty then he got plunged into it. And cooked well the coyote ran free.

The next day it rained a heavy shower. Coyote was taking a drink from a puddle at the bottom of the canyon. Then owl man came looking for animals to kill and eat. Owl man spotted coyote and a delicious cow. Owl man came down and landed face to face with coyote. Owl man said “the one who barfs meat will take the cow”. Coyote told owl man to close his eyes while coyote barfs meat. So owl closed his eyes. Coyote quickly killed the cow and put some meat on the ground then barfed on it. When owl man opened his eyes he was surprised and said “how do you catch so much meat?” Coyote replied “I have fast legs your legs are to big close your eyes”. So owl man closed his eyes again and coyote took have his leg off. “There now I’m going to eat the rest of my cow”. Owl threw his club but it missed. Owl tried to call his club back but coyote said “sticks move by themselves”. After coyote finished his cow he left the canyon because it was starting to flood. Coyote escaped again and owl drowned because the canyon flooded. Coyote walked back to his home soaked from the downfall. When he got home he took a three day nap and only got up to eat, drink, and hunt for meat or wheat.